Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Campus Slate Seeks Audience

The local town crier, otherwise known as The Campus Slate (NYIT's student newspaper), recently sought an audience with King PITA to discuss his upcoming quest to China. The Slate interview will be published in the coming weeks; however, we (that's the royal "we," thank you very much) are providing the official record of the full interview, graciously provided by the court of King PITA.

Campus Slate:
Have you ever taught at any of the other NYIT global campuses?

Dr. Hogsette (aka King PITA): No, I have not. When I was in grade school, I lived in Saudi Arabia, and I really enjoyed that experience (of course, times were much different then than now). I've heard some wonderful things from my colleagues Dr. Moylan and Dr. Quigley about our campuses in the Middle East. Who knows, maybe I will revisit that area of the world sometime in the near future. Right now, I'm excited about going to China. I've always wanted to visit the Far East, and NYIT is providing me this wonderful opportunity to further our educational mission while also "seeing the world."

CS: What are you most looking forward to in your experiences abroad both inside and out of the classroom?

DH: In the classroom, I'm excited by the challenge of teaching Chinese students our curriculum. They are used to one kind of educational model, and they are very interested in learning in the American university tradition. I'm really looking forward to helping them experience a classroom experience that is a bit more dialogic than what they may be used to. This will be a great learning experience for both me and the students. They are used to a presentational model of learning. My challenge will be to introduce them to more group work, in-class discussion, and hands-on learning. There will be some interesting cultural differences to negotiate here. I'm hoping to engage them in learning how to ask good questions, explore various answers, and formulate their own well-informed positions. The significance of individual voice may be a new concept for them (or, at least a concept that is not usually evident in public settings or educational contexts), and I hope to encourage them to be independent thinkers.

Outside of the classroom, I'm hoping to learn more about Chinese culture and custom. Of course, I'll be mainly in Nanjing, and that represents only one "slice of life" in China, but the Chinese students and faculty will have much to show and teach me. My plan is to visit Shanghai, Nanjing, and Beijing. There is so much rich culture and history to explore, and I can't wait for my adventure to begin. From U.S. media and my own education, I have certain expectations and preconceptions about China. I'm interested to see aspects of that county through my own lived experience and to compare that knowledge with what I've been taught thus far.

CS: Although the students are required to speak and write in English, what challenges do you think you might face teaching in another country? How have you prepared?

DH: Of course, the main challenge will be language, and cultural uniqueness expressed through language. Yet, on some level, "people are people." I hope to make special human connections with students. It is my belief that all people have special value and significance because we are created in the image of God. That is our link or connection. Part of that divine image is mind or soulishness and freewill (with the accompanying desire to be free). I'm looking forward to connecting on these levels. However, there is also diversity in that "Imago Dei"; the richness of the Creator's creativity is witnessed in the vastness of cultural expression, and that will present wondrous challenges in teaching. For some, culture is self-defining and ultimately self-isolating. It is my sincere desire to experience culture as connective, a venue by which individual souls can meet in fellowship of mind, thought, and expression. I'm sure there will be cultural barriers that will seem alienating at times, on both sides. Yet, instead of seeing cultural difference as walls of separation, I hope to embrace cultural uniqueness as avenues of interaction. I will have to learn and adapt to them, just as they will need to learn and adapt to me. In this intellectual exchange within the context of culture, I hope that we both will develop on the level of mind and soul. I have prepared by talking to professors who taught there last semester. However, I'm aware that what these professors shared with me are their own experiences which may ultimately differ from my own. It will be interesting to see what develops, and what doesn't...

CS: How long will you stay in China?

DH: I will be in China for about three and a half months. I will visit Shanghai for a little over a week, then teach in and visit Nanjing for twelve weeks, and then visit Beijing for about a week.

No comments: